Open Pedagogy in the Classroom
Suggestions for the kinds of support needed to make open pedagogy feasible, as discussed by participants at the March 2021 Open Pedagogy Workshop.
- Copyright and permission issues (understanding Creative Commons licenses, working with topics without a lot of openly licensed materials)
- Understanding the balance between the incentive for students to participate in creating content and building Ryerson’s reputation without compensation (i.e. unpaid work)
- Determining how to involve Open Pedagogy in courses with standardized curriculum and exams (Nursing, Engineering)
- How to help students learn to learn differently
- How to continually come up with new topics and material to cover in a course
- Designing the experience so that the students see it as something engaging, rather than “work to do” (i.e. discussion board post requirements).