Chapter 1: Understanding Racism and Anti-Black Racism
- Racism is based on an ideology that assumes some groups of people are inferior or less human than others.
- Racism infiltrates every aspect of human existence.
- Racism is deeply embedded in Canadian systems and institutions, including healthcare.
- Anti-Black racism and other forms of racism play a significant role in the social and health disparities among Black Canadians and other racialized people.
- Anti-Black racism is considered the number one cause of death among Black people.
- Racism intersects with other forms of oppression related to components of one’s identity (e.g., gender, sexuality), so intersectionality is important to consider.