1. Racial Capitalism and Colonialism
Upon completion of this module, the intention is that you have achieved the learning objectives below. Practice discussing these topics with your friends and/or community. Try to explain to a friend what capitalism, racism and colonialism are and how they intersect and are dependent upon one another.
- Describe the intersections between capitalism, racism and colonialism
- Critically assess how the fabricated notions of racial superiority and racial hierarchy sustain those positioned at the top
- Identify how slavery and indentureship create the conditions for wealth and accumulation-based society
- Analyze how global systems today depend on the perpetuation of these conditions through institutional structures and ideas of white supremacy and entitlement
Please note that a transcript for the lyrics of the song We Can Do It are currently unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience.
For a transcript of the lyrics for the song above visit Genius’s page for It’s a Good Day.
Open your reflection journal and reflect on what you have learned throughout this module:
- What stood out to you the most?
- What do you want to learn more about?
- What did you find the most difficult?
- How do you feel? Check in with your body. Why do you think you feel this way? What parts of this module made you feel differently?
Note: to access your reflection journal please review the Introduction section of the Racial Capitalism and Colonialism module.