Module 7: Understanding Harassment
Welcome to Module 7: Understanding Harassment!
The final module of this series broadly covers harassment in the workplace. As workplaces evolve in the context of social norms and practices, understandings of the causes, human and material costs of workplace harassment, and legal protection have expanded. Harmful behaviours once tolerated, blithely dismissed, or even sanctioned, are now considered wholly unacceptable and illegal. Public attention to sexual harassment has intensified with high-profile cases involving senior Armed Forces personnel in Canada, as well as singer R. Kelley and movie director Harvey Weinstein in the United States in the broader context of the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements has elevated the issue of workplace harassment in the academy, public and private sectors.
By the end of this module, you should be able to:
- Differentiate between forms of workplace harassment, including bullying and sexual harassment and multi-level risk factors.
- Describe human rights and legal frameworks at the international, federal and provincial (Ontario) levels, and the obligations of employers to ensure a safe workplace.
- Explain the socio-ecological model that combines individual and organizational risk factors to explain workplace harassment.
- Identify the outcomes of workplace harassment, and at least four coping strategies adopted by individuals who have experienced harassment.
- Recognize the challenges of launching a formal complaint about workplace harassment.
Featuring Conversations With Michelle Cho
A Word on Language
This module contains references to sexual harassment that some readers may find triggering.
Disclaimer: This document does not constitute legal advice. If you believe you are a victim of workplace harassment and discrimination, please seek legal advice or contact local community resources that can provide expert support. The Law Society of Upper Canada referral service provides the name of a lawyer, a paralegal, and up to 30 minutes of free consultation.