Module 6: Audio/Podcasting Workshop
6.4 Maker Spotlight: Fady Shanouda
This module’s makers spotlight features the talented and thoughtful podcaster Fady Shanouda. Fady is a professor at Carleton University who works at the intersection of disability, Mad, and fat studies. His podcast is called Disability Saves the World (https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/disability-saves-the-world-with-dr-fady-shanouda/id1504141401). Before we work through a platform analysis of audio-based work, let’s explore what Fady has to say about his work.
The transcript of Fady’s video can be read at this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K2s-IYS7vm_mkfKoNG7-H6ejjQhRbY2lUuxNXCIB904/edit?usp=sharing
The transcript of Fady’s video with visual description can be read at this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G2yA_RPSyF0WK0Q3yKrv5CKRNTR1u9MpViavR-ZnUmg/edit?usp=sharing
While watching, jot down some of the important points our makers have highlighted. You may use the questions below to guide your reflections:
- How does Fady define/talk about access?
- What barriers does Fady discuss?
- What did you find most interesting in the interview?
- What resonated with your own experience?
- What was one thing you learned from watching/listening to this Maker Spotlight?
- Does this Maker Spotlights inspire you or make you think about your own digital storytelling in a new way?
- What is your own relationship to podcasts? Has it changed over time?