Module 7: Video Workshop
This week we are highlighting media makers Jenelle Rouse and Jeff Preston. Jenelle is a deaf dance artist and the founder of Multi Lens Existence. Jeff is a professor of disability studies at King’s College, Western University, motivational speaker and advocate. Please watch their interviews and reflect on the knowledge and experience that is offered. Consider the connections to your own life, experience, interests, and digital making in their artistic practices.
The transcript of Jenelle’s video can be read at this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hqnL6lmu3C3o4xzMP9JRKMNG1fuFbLl9OiaS6iHqp2k/edit?usp=sharing
The transcript of Jenelle’s video with visual description can be read at this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PE3DYZpEwrW0aQ-jmcdpTllBBu6pyNc54jPYS8dlEPo/edit?usp=sharing
The transcript of Jeff’s video can be read at this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17VHVWeaNFm211dh9Hrd4hg0qUZ5S3EFv9fwYRA_NY8s/edit?usp=sharing
The transcript of Jeff’s video with visual description can be read at this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/114MUG_8GCvI1daUiI7o_YfYT7ACv-ancZhOfn0ItBCI/edit?usp=sharing
After watching the Maker Spotlights, spend a few minutes reflecting on what you learned and how Jenelle’s and Jeff’s creative work makes you reconsider your own relationship to video narrative, visual media, social media, community, disability, technology, and creativity. Let the questions below guide your reflection:
- How do the makers describe their relationship to technology?
- How does Jenelle define ‘maker’? How does Jeff? In what ways are they similar and different?
- How is disability central to their work?
- How do the makers create access in their art?
- What barriers to participation do Jenelle and Jeff identify?
- What did you find most interesting in these interviews?
- What resonated with your own experience?
- What was one thing you learned from watching/listening to these Maker Spotlights?
- Do these Maker Spotlights inspire you or make you think about your own digital storytelling in a new way?
- What is your own relationship to video technology? Has it changed over time?