Chapter 13: Works Cited
The rationale for citing carefully is to:
- Show you have read widely and creatively as per the expectations of the discipline
- Demonstrate you’ve learned from the work of people who studied the topic before you
- Give credit to your sources of information (definitions, other scholars’ concepts, statistics) and avoid plagiarism
- Provide the details of your research path for others to follow so that they can find the materials and read/learn/think for themselves
- Actively participate in the scholarly conversation. Go you!